Everybody uses social media nowadays, but not everyone knows how to use social media platforms to advance their career. Here’s what you need to know to ensure that every post and like helps you get where you want to be professionally.
Using Social Media to Advance Your Career
For better or worse, social media has become part of our routines. According to the most recent polls, roughly seven in ten Americans use social media for a variety of purposes, from connecting with friends to staying up to date with the news.
With this widespread popularity, is almost inevitable to take social media a little too lightly, thinking that the things you do online have no impact on your career.
The truth is that, if used wisely, social media can open many doors. But it can also close them if you are not careful.
- Begin by making sure that your profile picture projects a professional, neat image.
- Take the time to look at your previous posts and read them from the perspective of a potential employer. Do you still feel comfortable with all the things you said in the past? Delete any items that may not reflect your current views.
- Are you following the leaders in your industry? Use the “suggest” or “discover” feature of most social media platforms to connect with the most brilliant minds in your field.
- Does your social media profile reflect your passion for your work? Chances are good that you are passionate about what you do. Allow this passion to shine through on your social media profiles by sharing and commenting on industry-relevant content.
- Share your achievements. Are you learning any new skills? Did you close an important deal? As long as you stay grounded and humble, you shouldn’t be shy about celebrating your wins on social media—they serve as proof of your competence and drive
More Tips to Propel Your Career Forward
Read these previous posts for more tips that cover every aspect of the management of your organization, from communication to online security.
- 3 Tips to manage the introverted members of your team
- Planning to take a few day off? Use this checklist
- 3 Project management techniques for small business owners
- Helping remote workers adapt to the office
About the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
At the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GRHCC), our core mission is supporting small businesses and economic development with advocacy, business referrals, marketing opportunities, training programs, student internships, and scholarships.