We all need some extra time to rest, especially during a pandemic. If you are planning to take some days off work, here’s a checklist to make things easier and ensure you can focus on recharging your body and mind.
- Make a list of things to do and people to notify. While you may think you already know what you need to do prior to your vacation, take the time to compile a list of things to do and people that may be impacted by your vacation. Writing things down offers the added advantage of giving you a bird’s eye view of the work to be done, which allows you to be more strategical.
- Notify people of your vacation. Use the list you created in the previous step to notify people who may be impacted by your absence. This includes coworkers and clients, but also providers and partners, where applicable.
- Determine what needs to be done while you are away. The previous steps take care of the things that can be completed before your vacation. However, in most cases, there will be situations that require following up in your absence. Talk with your manager and determine who in your organization will handle which items on your list.
- Create an autoreply message. To finish covering all your bases, create an autoreply message so that people who send you an email during your absence still receive a reply. How you set up your autoreply message depends on your email provider. As for the email itself, here’s a template you can use:
First off thank you for your message.
I’ll be on vacation from [START DATE] to [END DATE]. If you need immediate assistance during my absence please contact my colleague, [NAME] at [EMAIL/TELEPHONE]. For all other matters, I will respond to your email as soon as possible upon my return.
More Tips to Propel Your Business Forward
Read these previous posts for more tips that cover every aspect of the management of your organization, from communication to online security.
- 3 Project management techniques for small business owners
- Helping remote workers adapt to the office
- Crafting the perfect elevator pitch for the pandemic (and post-pandemic) world
- Avoid these 3 common grammar mistakes in your business emails
About the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
At the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GRHCC), our core mission is supporting small businesses and economic development with advocacy, business referrals, marketing opportunities, training programs, student internships, and scholarships.