The festive season is a time for great food, joy, reflection… and hacking attacks. Cybercriminals take advantage of a unique combination of circumstances to try to steal your data during the holidays. Here’s how you can protect yourself and your business.
Why Are Hacking Attacks Common During the Holidays?
Every year during the holidays there’s a spike in hacking attempts. This is due to the fact that the festive season creates a perfect storm that’s irresistible for hackers: M
- Many employees are on vacation, which means that companies are less protected.
- People are more willing to open unsolicited emails, especially if they promise holiday deals/discounts.
- The holiday season offers many opportunities for hackers to trick victims through email: virtual greeting cards, invitations, and other holiday-related content.
What Can You Do to Prevent Hacking Attacks?
Many hacking attempts hinge on you taking some sort of action, so educating yourself and being prudent online are two good ways to head off cyber-attacks.
- Use safe passwords. Choose passwords of at least eight characters that include a mix of upper and lower case, special characters and numbers.
- Use multi-factor authentication. When available, use this feature, where a website asks you for two pieces of information before granting access. This is not a silver bullet, but it makes hacking attacks less likely.
- Be extremely careful with links and attachments. These are the resources that hackers use more often, so don’t click on a link or download an attachment unless you know the sender.
- Backup your data. In itself, this doesn’t prevent hacking attacks, but it can make all the difference if you can’t access your data after a breach.
Get More Business Tips and Ideas
Read these previous posts for more business tips that cover every aspect of the management of your organization.
- 4 Easy and effective holiday marketing ideas
- How to deal with holiday and pandemic stress
- A Simple Trick to Get the Boost You Need at Work
- How to Manage a Hybrid Team
- Time Management: 3 Essential Skills.
- How to Overcome “Analysis Paralysis.”
About the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
At the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GRHCC), our core mission is supporting small businesses and economic development with advocacy, business referrals, marketing opportunities, training programs, student internships, and scholarships.