Ask anyone and they’ll tell you that teamwork is one of the cornerstones of organizational success. But can teamwork be taught? Keep reading to find out.
What Is Teamwork and Why It Matters
The term teamwork refers to the ability of a team to work in coordination toward a common goal, be it a business target, a product deadline, or anything in between.
Managers have been aware of the importance of teamwork since at least the 1970s. Since then, many team effectiveness models have been proposed. Most of them agree that a handful of factors are crucial when it comes to building successful teams:
- Compelling direction
- Defined structure
- Supportive context
- Common mindset
Years of research have provided us with solid insights on how teamwork works as well as ideas on how to foster a strong teamwork culture. But can teamwork be taught?
Some people have a natural ability to work in teams, while others find it more challenging.
Regardless of which category you belong to, the good news is that psychologists believe that teamwork skills can be taught.
Some of the keys to teaching teamwork skills include:
- Introduce cooperative tasks. Focusing on a common goal is one of the basic conditions for effective teamwork.
- Promote useful conflict. Conflict is not absent from effective teams. However, good teams know how to manage conflict in a way that leads to growth.
- Promote positive interactions. While conflict is necessary, it isn’t the prevalent ingredient of the teamwork “recipe.” The ideal proportion between positive interactions and conflict is about 3.5:1.
- Provide a sense of purpose. People deliver better results when they feel that they are working on something that matters.
More Tips to Propel Your Business Forward
Read these previous posts for more tips that cover every aspect of the management of your organization, from communication to online security.
- Don’t fall for these holiday scams
- Handling difficult conversations at work
- How to deal with the wave of post-pandemic career changes
- What is timeboxing?
About the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
At the Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GRHCC), our core mission is supporting small businesses and economic development with advocacy, business referrals, marketing opportunities, training programs, student internships, and scholarships.